Kent Memories ~ Burning the Leaves




As I approached home after shopping today I noticed white smoke billowing into the air and across the road. I hoped it was leaves burning even though that is prohibited by law. The pungent smell entered my nostrils and pleasant memories flooded my mind. I really like that smell. 

I grew up in Kent, Ohio which is also is known as the tree city. Wolcott Avenue did not have curbs or storm sewers at that time. It still does not have these amenities. The falling leaves were abundant on the Norway Maple lined street. We would rake the leaves into large piles on the devil's strip or into the ditch. After playing in the piles for a while we would wait until it was dark. I don't remember why it had to be dark before we set the large piles on fire. Most people in Kent burned their leaves in much the same manner. We would stand by with rakes to rake the burning leaves into smaller piles as they burned. Kent had a layer of the sweet smelling smoke hanging over it each evening as this ritual took place at hundreds of  homes. 

It just makes me want to go outside and light up a tiny pile of leaves just to smell that smoke and remember. 

Note: The "devil's strip" is what locals in the Kent and surrounding communities call the tree lawn. It is the area between the sidewalk and the street. I thought that is what everyone called it until I got older. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Rock in Kent Ohio

A Fast & Unexpected Ride Home ~ Another life Adventure

Did This Product Work for Me? ~ A Super Clean Review